Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pregnancy - Week 35

Here goes my first attempt at blogging. 
I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant with my baby girl - Raven. 
She has Spina Bifida and I'm scared out of my mind, but I also feel so blessed to be entrusted with such a special little person. 
I found out she was going to have sb when I was 21 weeks along and given the horrifying option to abort her. 
It made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't even imagine doing that to my sweet innocent baby that I was just starting to feel move, just starting to fall madly in love with. I was disgusted, I wanted to do nothing but get out of that place. I didn't ask any questions, even though I knew absolutely nothing about sb. I cried most of the way home as I started to do research from my cell phone. 
I did so much research, it was all so grim. Nothing I read told me the amazing things these children accomplish, nothing I found could do any justice to seeing these children in action. I found an AMAZING support group on Facebook and the people on there are so great. They've helped me over many hurdles, even through a couple of sleepless nights. 
I cannot wait to be on their side, to watch my little one do the amazing things that their children do.
 I cannot wait to start our journey. I cannot wait to meet this little girl that, clubbed feet and all, loves to use my ribs as a trampoline. It's an amazing feeling. She is my second, and my son never kicked as hard as she does. 
My little miracle child. 

Mommy loves you Raven Alicia. 
See you in 3 weeks <3





7 comments:

  1. I'm sure that you've heard it a hundred times, but pregnancy really is the hardest part of this journey. As soon as you see her beautiful face you just know that no matter what is put in front of you, you will survive. Not everyday is easy, but your baby is a fighter and will give you instpiration beyond what you thought possible. Looking forward to seeing pictures of Miss Raven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to have another blog to follow and see how wonderful Raven is and she blesses your life. It is a scary journey but being a mom just is. Hang in there, just 3 more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww.... this made me a bit teary and reminded me of those last few weeks before we had our son Brendan (now almost 4.) Finding support from other SB mommies made all the difference to me. And finding a SBfamily close by, meeting their amazing son, seeing how they were just a normal family (whatever that means- haha!), having that mentor to hold my hand who KNEW exactly what I was going thru. The next year will be a whirl-wind of appointments and new experiences, but it will be SO WORTH IT! Congratulations, I can't wait to see the pictures of your sweet Raven!

    You can see pictures and read Brendan's story at www.caringbridge.org/visit/babybrendan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, you are truley amazing. I am so proud of how you are becoming this strong women. God does things in the most strangest ways. But Raven was meant to be here on this earth. She has a purpose, you may not ever know what that is, but god will. I am so humbled to know you and Ricki. I am looking forward to seeing beautiful pictures of your family. Stay strong, even during the roughest times know that god is with you. ginger....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going to be a tough road, believe me. My son Cameron has spina bifida at level L4-5 and S-1. The physical limitations as far as what he can do are pretty overwhelming. But he is incredibly smart, has a bright and beautiful smile and his personality just SHINES for everybody. Hang in there. I'll be reading your blog and looking forward to hearing how things are going. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that you started a blog on the fb group. I started my blog when we got our SB diagnosis with my son Nick. I LOVE finding new blogs to follow and hope you'll continue!
    Unfortunately your story is very much like mine. Pregnancy is very hard - all the questions and worry and brain going in overdrive about the if's. Once she is out and in your arms it gets soooo much better.

    Can't wait to follow how Miss Raven is doing!

    Amanda - www.riddingfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you found some support. My heart goes out to those women and men who don't find it. Knowing other families online that have gone through this diagnosis, seeing the pictures of the beautiful children, and reading about their journeys really was a lifeline for me when I was pregnant. Overwhelming at times, but still such a blessing. I am looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about your little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete